nedeľa 17. novembra 2013

Matus politically correct?

I've never considered myself to be politically correct. Nor would I expect myself to appeal to sense of political correctness - well, most of the time. Perhaps such a moment was inevitably to arrive in a new environment. We had a trivia quiz yesterday. It was not very enjoyable, perhaps because I had expected to know at least a few answers while the trivia was mostly Africa trivia.

What both surprised me, and left be bemused was the inclusion of a Robert Mugabe quote. The only white man to be trusted is a dead white man. It sounds predictably Mugabean. What really got me was both the choice of the quote, and the lack of reaction from the audience against it. ALA community would be profoundly shocked had the colour of the skin been reversed. At least I believe so. Perhaps it was the heat of the battle that made people forget about it. Or, more worryingly, the colonial past still warrants use of such words in some people's minds.



Žiadne komentáre:

Zverejnenie komentára